Children Are Prone to Pedestrian Accidents
Nothing is more important than the safety of our children. As a team of Beverly Hills accident attorneys, we represent injury victims of all ages, including children injured while they are walking. Below are some safety tips to keep your kids safe from pedestrian accidents – if you want to discuss a specific case, please contact our law firm directly.
Children Are Vulnerable to Accidents
Reports show that:
- In 2019, 359 children were killed in pedestrian accidents in the US
- Children are involved in nearly 300 non-fatal pedestrian accidents per week
- 12 to 19-year-olds are three times more likely to be killed in pedestrian accidents
- Boys are almost twice as likely to be killed as girls
- Black American children were more than twice as likely as white American children to be killed
- About 2/3 of children are killed away from intersections, such as jaywalking mid-block
These are some staggering numbers. Because of their small stature and lack of “street smarts,” children are particularly susceptible to pedestrian injuries.
Lead by Example
Even when your kids get bigger, it’s really important to exercise maximum caution in any area where cars are present. You wouldn’t let them ride in your car without their seatbelt. The same vigilance must be applied to looking both ways before crossing the street–it’s not just for toddlers. Children learn by example, so don’t teach them to jaywalk. Always use the crosswalk and wait your turn. On Halloween in particular, ensure your kids have flashlights or glow sticks and only cross at street corners.
Contact Our Beverly Hills Pedestrian Accident Lawyers If Your Child Has Been Injured
Our Beverly Hills accident attorney team can advocate for your child if they have been injured in a pedestrian accident. We are passionate about ensuring that accident victims, particularly children, get the maximum compensation they deserve. Contact us at 310.478.5800 or submit our contact form so we can protect your child’s rights.