When Car Accidents Become a Criminal Matter
If you have been injured by another driver’s negligence, you’ll file your claim with their insurance provider, and if you need to take the matter to court, you’ll file a civil lawsuit against that insurance company. As such, most car accidents are civil – not criminal – matters. Some negligent practices, however, are so egregious that criminal charges against the negligent driver are also in play. If you have been injured by another driver’s negligent practices – in any form – an experienced Beverly Hills car accident attorney is standing by to help.
While speeding, distraction, and exhaustion can all lead to dangerous car accidents, they are less likely – in the general scheme of things – to lead to criminal charges (other than relatively minor moving violations). There are, however, instances in which a driver’s actions can be deemed criminal, and common examples include:
- Driving under the influence, which can lead to jail time and serious fines
- Hitting another vehicle and leaving the scene of the accident (a hit and run)
- Driving recklessly, which refers to driving without regard for the consequences – including the safety of others
- Causing vehicular manslaughter, which refers to driver negligence that results in someone else losing their life
- Fleeing the police, which takes dangerous driving to new levels
It is important to note that if the driver who leaves you injured is so dangerously negligent that they face serious criminal charges, it may prompt the court to award punitive damages in addition to those related to the following:
- Property damage to your car
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
Punitive damages are designed to punish the at-fault driver rather than to compensate you for your losses, but they are reserved for extreme circumstances.
You Need an Experienced Beverly Hills Car Accident Attorney on Your Side
The compassionate Beverly Hills car accident attorneys at Jalilvand Law have the experience and keen legal skills you’re looking for. To learn more, please don’t delay contacting or calling us at 310.478.5800 today.