Drunk Driving Rates Spike Over Labor Day
Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer, and many people take the opportunity for a family outing or social gathering over the long holiday weekend. In many cases, days on a boat, a camping trip, or a BBQ involve relaxing by drinking some alcoholic beverages. Unfortunately, many people then decide to get into their cars and drive while they are under the influence of alcohol.
For an idea of the dangers of drunk driving over holiday weekends, we can take a look at statistics regarding this past Memorial Day weekend in California:
- 1,099 people were arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence (DUI)
- About 14 people were arrested each hour over the long weekend
- At least 34 people died in alcohol-related crashes
- Many more people suffered injuries in alcohol-related crashes
While the California Highway Patrol and local police departments ramp up enforcement efforts over Labor Day, they cannot catch every drunk driver on the roads. There will still be impaired drivers who can make serious errors that result in devastating injuries and losses to other motorists.
Know What to Do After a Drunk Driving Crash
If you are in an accident and suspect another driver is intoxicated, you can take certain steps to protect your rights:
- Call 911 – This will ensure that you get the emergency medical attention you need, as well as call the police to the scene. Police officers can then determine if they need to arrest the driver for DUI, which can help your future situation.
- Keep your distance – Do not approach or confront a drunk driver, and wait for the police to arrive.
- Get medical help – If you do not need an ambulance, you should head to the emergency room right away if you have sustained any injuries or feel anything unusual.
Contact a Committed Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in Beverly Hills Right Away
At Jalilvand Law, we hold drunk drivers accountable for the harm they cause. Call 310.478.5800 or contact us online for a free case evaluation with a Beverly Hills drunk driving accident attorney.